I'm sure you’ve heard of the Hong Kong International Cricket Sixes tournament, which celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. If so, you might be interested to learn that I'm helping arrange something similar in the Sutton/Wallington area this summer.
Season 2012 will act as a pilot and we’re looking for potential teams/players to get the ball rolling.
The idea is to run a 6-a-side league over a number of midweek evenings – most likely on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
Each will play two matches per night.
- 6.00pm – Team A v Team B (1st innings, 5 overs max)
- 6.20pm – Team A v Team C (1st innings)
- 6.40pm – Team B v Team C (1st innings)
- 7.00pm – Team A v Team B (2nd innings)
- 7.20pm – Team A v Team C (2nd innings)
- 7.40pm – Team B v Team C (2nd innings)
Therefore, 2 hours (approx.) for the 3 games, leaving plenty of time for a few jars!
Possible venues are Cricket-4-Change (Wallington), Sutton CC (Holmwood Close) and Old Walcountians CC (Woodmansterne)
Likely cost is £54 per team per night (i.e. £9 per player in a squad of 6, or £6 each in a squad of 9). This covers 2 games per team/per night, ground hire, umpires, scorer, admin fees for website/results updates, etc.
The league will be open to sports clubs and corporates in the area, although 6 mates can of course get together in forming their own team! For example, the regulars of the Red Lion in Cheam Village, are the first to register Red Lions as a team. Others to have expressed an interest at this early stage are Sutton CC, Kenley & SR CC, Comar, G4S, Sydenham CC, MCC Sporting Club and Sutton Sports Promotions!
Match rules (to be confirmed)
The Laws of Cricket apply, except:
- Games are played between two teams of six players, and each game consists of a maximum of five six-ball overs bowled by each side.
- Bowling is restricted to a maximum of 2 overs per bowler, ensuring that a minimum of 3 players bowl during the course of an innings.
- Wides and no-balls count as two runs (such balls only to be bowled again in final over of an innings.)
- Bowling run ups restricted to a maximum of 6 metres (approx. 20 feet) from popping crease.
- A tournament points system awards two points for each match won, 1 point each for equal scores or an abandoned game.
Please reply to this email or give me a call asap if you’d like to know more about playing.